NM high school students’ have the opportunity to enroll in college courses through the Dual Credit (DC) Program

Every New Mexico high school student has the opportunity to enroll in college courses through the Dual Credit (DC) Program. The DC Program provides access to academic and career and technical education (CTE) courses that deliver simultaneous credit toward high school graduation and a postsecondary degree or certificate.

College courses are offered for dual credit based upon agreements between high schools and accredited public colleges. While most students take basic core courses such as English and math, coursework may include subjects such as culinary arts or criminal justice, depending on the student’s Next Step Plan and degree paths offered by each college.

Courses are accessible to students with a range of academic and career aptitudes. Research studies on dual credit participation have shown that students who take dual credit courses perform well in their courses, graduate from high school at a higher rate than their peers, require less first-semester remediation in college, and are more likely to obtain a college degree within four years.

New Mexico state law (21-1-1.2. NMSA 1978) requires public colleges to waive tuition for students; mandates that Local Education Agencies (LEAs) purchase instructional materials for students, and expects students and parents to cover course-specific fees and transportation expenses. For more information, please refer to the CCRB Dual Credit Policy and Procedures Manual. You can also reach out to our Dual Credit Administrator, Jaime Cherry, at Jaime.Cherry@state.nm.us or by phone at 505-469-6744.


V-HEN publisher note: This allows Homeschool students the take ENGL 1110 (previously ENGL 1101) as a dual credit and receive credit twice, once on their high school transcript and once on their college transcript. NM now offers many online classes that make taking classes much easier for home schoolers. Students can take classes at any college/university in NM such as UNMV or CNM, the state of NM will pay for their tuition and the Homeshool (or public school) will pay for their books/materials. If this information is no longer correct, please contact me so that it can be updated. I am going off of what I have been told by previous homeschooling parents that have used the program.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *